When
I was reading about things to do in Kouchibouguac National Park I
came across mention of clam fishing. From what I read and the photos
I saw online it seemed like it would be pretty easy, fun, and cheap
activity to try. I asked a kind lady at the information center and
she gave me a pamphlet about soft shell clam fishing and tried to
explain what we were looking for and how to dig for clams. She also
told us to speak to Rachel at the campground as she loves “clamming”.
So, off I went to find Rachel and get her advice. It turns out the
vision I had in my head about clam digging was way off of reality. I
thought you just dug about on wet sand after the tide went out and
found clams. Nope. She said we'd be standing in water looking for
“blinking eyes” in the sand.
That
afternoon we went off looking for these “eyes” and found NOTHING.
Even when we did see something that we thought might be “eyes” I
discovered how icked out I was at the idea of digging it up! I was
disappointed with our failed attempt but we ended up having lots of
fun playing with all of the hermit crabs we found while poking about
in the tidal pools.
Hermit crabs
The
very next day while on another beach in the park I saw a woman who
appeared to be hunting for clams. I'd said all along that I thought
I just needed someone to show me exactly what I was looking for and
how to dig so I went over to talk with her right away. She showed me
the blinking eyes and once I'd seen it, I was able to spot lots more.
It was exciting and kind of weird to start digging in hopes of
feeling the edges of a clam shell. I broke a few shells while
figuring out the technique and then finally – Success!!! I started
bringing up whole, live clams! It was really exciting and kind of
addictive. I could have continued for hours but, the hot midday sun
and the fact that we were fishing for clams without a permit made us
decide to leave while the going was good. We ended up with 11 live,
mostly regulation sized clams. Clara really got the hang of digging
after awhile but Leo was once again far more interested in the hermit
crabs he found along the way.
My first catch
Back
at the camp site we let our little clam friends rest in salt water
for the afternoon so they'd rid themselves of their sand and then we
steamed them for dinner! I think it was the first time any of us ate
food we'd caught and prepared ourselves. The clams were tasty if a
little sandy but as far as I'm concerned the experience was
absolutely amazing. I'd love to do it again while we are so close to
the ocean.
Resting in saltwater
Yummy fresh Clams!
I used to love digging for clams!!!
ReplyDelete