Yesterday, I visited the Citadel in Halifax. If you are wondering what a citadel is, it is a military fortress. It is different from other fortresses because it is build in the ground. It was super-fun, I liked going in the school room and learning to use the math calculator that uses no electricity.*
I thought fortresses have moats filled with water around them but, the Citadel has a dry moat surrounding the inner walls and it is a star shaped moat. The star shape is easier to defend and harder to attack.
While I was in the school, something unimaginable happened in the fortress. I heard a humongous BOOM! Then I turned around to look outside and I saw a cannon.
The soldiers fired it again. If you think they actually shoot cannon balls, you are wrong! They only put black powder in because if they used cannon balls they would destroy their own fortress.
*Mom's note: also known as an abacus.


No comments:
Post a Comment